Pages

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Film Review: The Tree of Life


Terrance Malik is a wonderful director and it shows in this amazing looking film. It was nominated for best cinematography in this years Oscars and maybe should have even won the award. TTOL has recieved rave reviews from a number of different sources and this is reflected in a very high Rotten Tomatoes rating of 84 and an IMDB rating of 7.0. On the surface all things would seem right with the world, if this movie wasn't an absolute piece of garbage. I would expect most critics who loved this film to tell me I didn't understand it or what Malik was trying to do, but I did and I also read some stuff about it before viewing it so I could fake it if I wanted to, but it still sucked.
What's the worst thing about it? Well that easy. I was supposed to like it. I am supposed to be a person of refined taste, but I actually was annoyed with this film, almost angry because yes it was one of themost pretentious films I have ever seen. It had elements of brilliance to it and it's easy to see why some folks may find this to be an amazing film experience, But it took Malik 129 minutes of pure boredom to convey ther same thing the Beatless did in the song "In My Life" in 2:49 seconds.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478304/

No comments:

Post a Comment